RoSys - The Robot System¶
RoSys provides an easy-to-use robot system. Its purpose is similar to ROS. But RoSys is fully based on modern web technologies and focusses on mobile robotics.
See full documentation at rosys.io.
- All Python
- Business logic is wired in Python while computation-heavy tasks are encapsulated through websockets or bindings.
- Shared State
- All code can access and manipulate a shared and typesafe state -- this does not mean it should. Good software design is still necessary. But it is much easier to do if you do not have to perform serialization all the time.
- No Threading
- Thanks to asyncio you can write the business logic without locks and mutex mechanisms. The running system feels like everything is happening in parallel. But each code block is executed one after another through an event queue and yields execution as soon as it waits for I/O or heavy computation. The latter is still executed in threads to not block the rest of the business logic.
- Web UI
- Most machines need some kind of human interaction. We made sure your robot can be operated fully off the grid with any web browser by incorporating NiceGUI. It is also possible to proxy the user interface through a gateway for remote operation.
- Robot hardware is often slower than your own computer. Therefore RoSys supports a simulation mode for rapid development. To get maximum performance the current implementation does not run a full physics engine.
- You can use pytest to write high-level integration tests. It is based on the above-described simulation mode and accelerates the robot's time for super fast execution.